Monday, June 26, 2006

huevos rancheros

We only had a big ol' two-day festival staring down our craw, but that didn't mean we couldn't cram music into every waking moment of our luxurious four-day visit to Chicago. Let the games begin!

Calexico, the Metro, June 23, 2006: Heidi and I arrived about 15 minutes late for Calexico and missed all of Jason Collett's opening set. Sam assured us he sucked, but I wouldn't have given up dinner with Laura anyway.

Instead, we settled in the balcony with Sam, Rosie, and the hobbled Sooz for Calexico. I've actually seen Calexico a number of times opening for other bands, but this was the first time I caught a headlining set. I can't say I'm a big fan, but the horns send me swooning, and those rhythms are infectious, no matter what your moves on the dance floor. Alas, no "Love Will Tear Us Apart" this time, but we got "Alone Again Or" again, as well a smidgen of "Personal Jesus." I probably could've done without the last one, but it was suitably varied to keep it interesting.

2 comments:

BeeKay said...

Hee hee hee. How many of us understand the connection between your subject and the subject matter?

hodie said...

Me!

HahaHA.