Monday, November 05, 2018

oh that city sound

Hat tip to Denise for informing me of Kevin Morby's show at the California Academy of Sciences' NightLife program. Chances are I would've missed it entirely -- and regretted it -- otherwise.

Kevin Morby, California Academy of the Sciences, October 11, 1018

One of my favorite books when I was a kid was From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg. I'm hardly alone, as this classic has endured over the years. I credit that book with instilling in me at a young age a desire to go to New York City and see that wondrous museum for myself. Fortunately, I've been able to scratch that itch, though I had to leave at closing time, just like everyone else.

Kevin Morby, California Academy of the Sciences, October 11, 1018I wonder if the NightLife team was similarly inspired. I've attended at least one event before at the DeYoung Museum, but it was a broader, cocktail-party-style shindig. I hadn't been to an actual rock show at any of San Francisco's cultural landmarks.

Early in the evening, the Academy was fairly mellow. Though certain sections were roped off, the line for the rainforest exhibit was manageable, and you could check out the planetarium if you bought a ticket for a specific time. Unsurprisingly, I did neither, though this was mostly due to the fact that I had visited a few months ago with my cousin. I flipped through Amoeba's bins and wandered around a bit, but mostly I wanted to see the show.

There was no need to line up, but when indications came in that it was almost time, the audience moved in accordingly around the stage. The crowd was respectable outside, where the show was held, but I suspect the majority of visitors that night were there for the museum, not the entertainment. For the music fans, it was a comfortable fit. Meanwhile, we could see the museum visitors wandering over to take it as the concert proceeded.

Kevin Morby and crew were last here only in April, and thus, they put on a similar show. I was surprised to see that Meg Duffy was there, mainly because I thought I saw an Instagram post about her leaving the tour for gigs with her own band Hand Habits. I was happy to be proven wrong, as she remains a sorceress on guitar. Also in the band was their keyboardist, who was new to the group for the show at the Fillmore. He's stuck around, and he sounded great.

Alas, Kevin wore a white medical-looking jumpsuit this time around. We didn't get to see that fantastic Nudie-style suit again.

The set was slightly shorter than the show at the Fillmore, as they hit much of City Music and a number of favorite older tracks, including "Parade" and "I Have Been to the Mountain." As I recall, the audience was very supportive at the Fillmore, and the people in the front at least were at least as invested at the Academy. I could hear a fellow somewhere behind me singing along to each song -- and doing it well, to boot!

Also unlike the Fillmore show, this gig took place outdoors, in an open courtyard adjacent to the museum. If you stood back far enough, you were under the stars, but over by the stage, we were sort of under an overhang. To highlight the incredible exhibits behind the band, the lighting person projected natural images, including stars, branches, birds, and more, against the backdrop. You wouldn't have mistaken it for a headlining set at Coachella, but it was a nice nod to the venue.

Kevin closed the show with a solo song (though I've now forgotten which one), and we probably could've listened to several more. Let's hope this is the beginning of even more good stuff from him.

See also:
» may you find out who you are

No comments: