Monday, October 08, 2018

trying to figure out our lives

Outside Lands is not my favorite thing, but the accompanying night shows certainly are, and with Denise's help, I was able to get into the one gig I wanted to see: Broken Social Scene.

Broken Social Scene, the Independent, Aug. 10, 2018

Can you ever seen enough of a band? Sometimes! But certain performers/artists will always bring me in, and Broken Social Scene is one such example. This collective comes and goes, and for that reason, I'm inclined to catch them as much as I can. But it comes down to the music: They've created some of my favorite tunes and put on a fantastic show to boot. I'll show up as often as I can.

Broken Social Scene setlistThese night shows are supposed to be a complement to the festival sets, but it's up to the musicians to decide how to address the difference. I'm biased of course, but Wilco's all-acoustic set at the same venue a few years back was one of my favorites. It was also a special occasion, as the band went with its customary electric show at the festival itself the next day.

Broken Social Scene didn't opt for such a stark difference, but the changes were more notable in the setlist. Tonight was the night for deep cuts and rarer tracks ... after a rough start in which the band couldn't seem to get on the same page or find its energy. After a handful of songs that sounded fine to me, Kevin declared that they were going to play every song like it was the finale. That seemed to do the trick!

No question my favorite track was "Shampoo Suicide," which rarely gets an airing. I can't understand a word of this song, but it's dreamy and alluring, and I can get lost in the layers of sound. Andrew Whiteman got another turn in the spotlight with his showcase "Fire Eye'd Boy." Furthermore, his better half Ariel Engle performed a slinky, seductive track from La Force.

More rarities were a couple of tracks from Forgiveness Rock Record, "Texico Bitches" and "Sweetest Kill." The former has the kind of chorus you want to yell as loud as you can, and it didn't hurt that Kevin chose to sing this song while mingling with the audience. The latter, meanwhile, is Broken Social Scene at its sultriest. The beauty of the combo is that Broken Social Scene can do both.

We got a number of mainstays too, including "Stars and Sons" and the always affecting "Anthems for a 17-Year-Old Girl." Maybe it was the size of the venue, the late hour, the early frustrations, or the general state of the world, but "Anthems" was even more moving than usual. I hope they never lose it (and I doubt they will).

I should also note that this was a true night show, with the tunes starting sometime after 10 pm, I guess to allow the day's fest-goers to attend. It was exhausting after a week of work and commuting, but it was all worth it. As I understand it, Broken Social Scene has extended this tour all across the country, and I don't blame them one bit. I'd love to see them again, but if it doesn't happen, at least I took advantages of the sporadic opportunities.

See also:
» i'd be lying if i said it wasn't easy

No comments: