Sunday, May 18, 2008

going where the sun is always bright

I've loved this extended visit in New York, especially because it's allowed me to savor the city. I can't believe I've stayed away so long! What I've missed: several friends I don't see often enough, some great restaurants, and the delightful campfires led by Martin Rivas and Craig Meyer at Slane Castle.

Martin Rivas and Craig Meyer, Slane Castle, May 13, 2008: I have the good fortune of being (nearly) guaranteed at least one Martin Rivas appearance each year, but you gotta see Martin and Craig on their home turf to discover how they really shine.

I arrived just a little late, so Mart's sweet voice and Craig's easy beat were already flowing. Once I settled in, they moved through a Howard Jones song before deciding on some Madonna tunes. It soon became apparent why: A mixed table of guys and girls welcomed them warmly, with the guys knowing all the words and harmonies--and not afraid to show it. Yes, the Rivas/Meyer magic had worked once again.

Later, their friend Kailin Garrity dropped in for a few songs, including one of her originals, as well as a Bill Withers tune. But when it came time to close the evening, they went with Craig's request for one of Mart's own: the lovely "North." I love New York!

See also:
» springtime comes
» MySpace: Martin Rivas

No comments: