Wednesday, November 06, 2019

poetry and magic

Does anyone blog anymore? For now, yes, so here's what I saw while in New York for Wilco at Brooklyn Steel.

Wilco, Brooklyn Steel, October 13, 2019

I've actually been to a show or two since my last post, but I don't want to write about them. Also, a lot of baseball happened this summer, and there was a big vacation. But back in June, when tickets to this show went on sale, I knew it was the perfect storm of schedule, venue, and location. I may not be as prolific a rock tourist anymore, but I know a good opportunity when I see it.

Wilco played Radio City Music Hall the night before, but that was also a no-brainer. I skipped that one, without a moment of consideration. In my experience, the big, hallowed, historic halls don't do it for me. Give me a general admission venue like Brooklyn Steel every time. Also, as a seasoned rock tourist, I'm acutely aware of the rule about second shows (they're almost always better than the first).

Back in the day, I saw a lot of shows in New York City, some of which were the most memorable of my life. On many of these trips, I was able to not only visit but crash with my best friend. This trip was no different, and also like back in the day, I was dragging her along to this gig. (As a reborn music nerd, she acquiesced.) In fact, as we stood outside the theater after seeing Mean Girls (the musical), we realized that not only were we at the site of her old office building, Paul and I had met there 17 years ago when he sold me his extra ticket to Wilco's show at the late, great Roseland. Time is a flat circle!

Anyway, the good news is that Brooklyn Steel is a lot cooler than what I recall of Roseland. The stage isn't a million miles high, and the front feels quite comfortable. I'm told Wilco couldn't bring its ornate stage decor to this club, and I'm OK with that. In fact, it looked like there was barely enough room to hold Wilco's pedals, effects, and equipment. I think this is the first time I've seen Glenn's face at a show in a long time!

Wilco, Brooklyn Steel, 10-13-19

Obviously, Wilco has a new album out, Ode to Joy. Such is the retail music market these days that I didn't have a chance to buy the album until the day before the show, and even that was a digital download. And yes, I still buy music, as opposed to listening to it on Spotify or whatever. In all, I probably listened to the record twice before the show and came to the show with almost no expectations.

One of the biggest takeaways from both the record and the show was Glenn's role. On stage, he had new implements that you'll likely never see with any other rock musician. His touch is all over the album, and it was a blast to see him translate it to the live show. I have no idea if those nuances carried to the farther corners of the room, but up front, you could hone in on the latest effect while watching Glenn work his latest contraption.

The standout new track for me was "Hold Me Anyway," reminding me a tiny bit of "Outta Mind (Outta Sight)" -- probably due to the sleigh bells. To me, one of the most prominent aspects of Jeff Tweedy's evolution as a songwriter is a fixation on death. Which is understandable! And darker lyrics have never deterred me, but my favorites tend to marry them to a jaunty tune. "Hold Me Anyway" is a textbook example of this combination.

The more amusing asides of the show include shout-outs to Paul (as the star of the delightful music video for "Everybody Hides"), Doreen (for her Gudetama phone case), and the kid who yelled out, "Schmilco!" To his credit, he wore a Schmilco shirt, so he was definitely walking the walk as well.

Paul contends we got the better setlist in Brooklyn, which is no surprise. Anyone could tell you they'd do the "hits" at Radio City. In essence, this meant we got deep cuts like "Hummingbird," where the audience sang along quite nicely, and "You and I." I remarked to Paul that I was surprised this was back in the rotation, but as it turns out, it's not really the case. I just happened to be at the only shows where they've done it recently (the other one being Solid Sound). They rounded out the set with the now irreplaceable "Impossible Germany," "Laminated Cat," and the Being There rockers. As a fan, I had no objections to their choices.

The kind of Wilco dates I like are less accessible for me, but I'll always jump on the chance to hit one of these types of shows. It capped off a fun early autumn weekend in New York City that I hope I can do again soon.

See also:
» catch the moon like a bird in a cage
» come with me

No comments: