Thursday, November 10, 2005

surrender. dislocate.

Or, not: i like jon brion. a lot. (part 4)

U2, Oakland Coliseum, November 9, 2005: My auntie's friend couldn't come to the show, so with little protest, I took her ticket. This is the third time I've seen U2, the first two times being the shows in 1997 with Oasis, and they turned out to be surprisingly powerful.

I'm sure someone else has a much better report, but some points jumped out at me. Eight years later, their show was a lot less frivolous. I enjoyed the glam and camp qualities of the early-'90s incarnation of the band, but let's face it--U2 is one of the few rock bands left in the world, and you want to see them belt 'em out. The setlist was cool, and I can't ever complain about hearing "Bad" live. I also liked the Patti Smith allusion at the end of the song. Stadium shows will never be my thing, but that sense of community you get at a truly good one is hard to come by these days.

1 comment:

BeeKay said...

Hey, neat! I'm glad you had a good time. The shows are different from the stuff we're (mostly) used to, but they definitely have their selling points. Besides, there are pretty lights.